Our goal is to maintain your natural teeth for as long as possible. Unfortunately, there may come a time when it is necessary to have a tooth extracted. If you have a broken, damaged or decayed tooth, the dentist can repair it with a filling, crown or other dental treatment; but sometimes, when the tooth is severely damaged, the doctor may have no choice but to remove the tooth.
There are basically two kinds of extractions: a simple extraction, when the dentist releases the tooth using an instrument called an elevator, and a surgical extraction is when the tooth has cracked off at the gum line or has not fully erupted through the gum line. At our offices in North Hollywood and Montebello, our staff is trained in tooth extractions, especially in the removal of Wisdom Teeth.
At Pacific Dental Group, we recommend you remove your wisdom teeth before they become a problem. You will receive a complete oral exam, including a full set of X-rays, to determine the size and position of the teeth. During a consultation, we will assist you in understanding the extraction procedure and discuss with you the different types of anesthesia available. The staff at Pacific Dental Group is trained in various types of anesthetics to make you feel more comfortable during the procedure.
Some important things you should know about having your wisdom teeth removed.
- Removal of wisdom teeth is necessary when they grow sideways, remain trapped beneath the gum and bone, or are impacted or stuck in the jawbone.
- The extraction of wisdom teeth is a common procedure.
- It is usually wiser to remove your wisdom teeth before they pose a problem.
- If left untreated, impacted wisdom teeth can cause infection, stiffness and pain.
- A tumor can form around the impacted tooth, resulting in the destruction of neighboring teeth.